SplitnSave was one of the projects that I worked on during my time at Ananth Technologies. When we got this project, our target was to improve the existing mobile experience both in terms of design and technology. We were given 6 months time-lines to get the MVP out and later support the product whenever needed.
Searching for a deal offline and online from the plethora of retail stores and websites has become an intricate process over the years. It is almost impossible to find an offer on things we need to buy. Let’s say, you found a BOGO deal (buy one get one), but now the challenge is you only want half of it. You take a picture of the offer, post it on the SplitnSave mobile application and ask for a split price which in this case is 50%. When someone agrees to your deal, you and the person each gets half of the deal and save 50% of the money.
- Did you ever find yourself in a situation where you had to buy more that you wanted to for saving some money?,
- Did you ever buy two pairs of the same item in BOGO offer and never used the second one?,
- Did you ever leave empty handed from a shop just because you could not pick different items in a BOGO offer?
These designs were pretty raw and old. They were designed to validate the idea in the market as quickly as possible. However, we shouldn’t be too much focused on the idea validation and ignore a good and a user-friendly interface that empowers its users to use the product easily and efficiently. There should always be a balance between these two. When a product lacks these basic attributes and does not comply with the basic rules the chance of people using it drops significantly. In the old design navigation system, layouts, color choices and font selection were poorly chosen. There was extraneous and irrelevant content on some screens which was distracting and making users less efficient. So, to learn what was wrong and what was right in the design, the first thing I did was analyzed the old interface and wrote down all the issues based on the user’s suggestions and feedback in the design as well as in functionality so that I could avoid and improve them in the new design.
I started with the basic research to collect information about the users and expectation from the business. Stakeholder’s interview was my first step to know about the expectations which would be required to lay the foundation for the product functionality. I prepared some basic questionnaires which include questions like:
What problem we are trying to solve?
People want offers on the items that they want to buy with maximum benefit without compromising anything.
How this product will solve the problem?
We would create a platform that will help a user to find online/offline deals and people to share the deals.
Who are the customers?
This app will be mainly for USA people, aged between 18-40 years. Users would love shopping and spend a good amount of money on it. They believe in smart shopping and always look for deals before buying anything.
At the end of the this phase I collected enough information from the stakeholders which would help me to get to the next design step.
This step involved creating personas, process/task flows, developing use cases so that the entire team is on the same page and know all about the product requirements.
Based on the data collected in the previous process, I started creating a persona which would represent our end-user . It consists of all the information about the end-users like, their demography, motives, goals, pain-points, needs, etc. This would keep everyone on the team focused on the real users' requirements and leave less to no place for any assumptions.
After persona was ready, I started brainstorming on user journeys to find the best possible ways for users to navigate through the application and give them best possible experience. See the bird-eye view of the task flow below:
With the help of information in the previous steps, I started conducting design studios for each task. I asked every team member to draw their ideas/solutions on the paper. After everyone had their ideas on the paper, we started discussing them. I asked everyone to show their sketch to everyone one and tell them how this sketch suits to the solution we are trying to solve. At the end of the every session, we together decided the best solution for each task. Some of the paper mock-ups are below:
Once paper mock-ups were ready, I converted them into hi-fidelity wireframes and send them over to stakeholders for further review. Once they agreed on the final design solutions, I created a color palette for the project. One by one I started applying the color scheme to each wireframe. Some of the high-fidelity wireframes are below:
The product was going to launch in few states of the USA but the development was happening in India. So, I did not have the privilege to meet the actual users and conduct usability testing. However, we conducted some basic testing sessions for both the Android and iOS platform in the USA with the help of Google Play alpha/beta testing program and Test Flight respectively and got some really good feedback. After incorporating these feedback in the existing design we launched the product on the both the platform Google play as well as Apple store.
It was my first project in Ananth Technologies where I was redesigning the entire mobile user experience for both Android and iOS Plateforms. There were many challenges through out the course of the project like getting information about the end users, learning about the marketplace, collaborating and communicating with the client remotely. In the end, everyone was happy with outcomes and we were able to launch the product before the due date.